Contact information: LPalmieri@ledyard.net
Prep Period: A3, B4
After school help: Mondays & by appointment (24 hours notice required)
Course Objective: English 9 (1111/1112) “The study of grammar is continued in Grade 9 to provide a firm basis for correct speech and writing. The emphasis of composition in this first year is on writing as related to literary studies. Students also learn current methods of research and produce a research-based term paper. A study of myths from ancient Greece and other countries is presented, with an emphasis on archetypes and recurring themes. Students then read and analyze The Odyssey to provide them with a more in-depth experience of reading classical literature. Students are also introduced to poetry, the short story and the novel. Vocabulary study is weekly.”
Materials: It is required and expected that you come to class prepared everyday. This includes pens/pencils, notebook, book, homework as assigned, and any other required materials.
Absences and Late Work:
- If you miss a class it is your responsibility to get all of the notes and assignments prior to the next class.
- You will not be allowed to make up any work including quizzes and tests if the absence is unexcused.
- Any makeup work must be completed within three class periods. Exceptions will be made for students who are out more than one day.
- If a student is absent on the day of a quiz or test, it must be made up on the first day back (either before school, after school, or during a study hall)
- All assignments must be turned in on time. Daily homework assignments (reading, vocabulary, notes, etc.) will not be accepted after the due date. ONLY long-term assignments will be accepted after their due dates and will be penalized (10% per school day).
- To earn a good grade means you must actively participate in class in a manner that is conducive to the learning environment. This includes doing your homework and coming to class prepared.
- Be on time! If you enter the class after the bell without an excused pass, you will serve a teacher detention.
- No discipline problems will be tolerated. Any disruptions in class that prevent others from learning are considered discipline problems.
- Grading will be on a weighted system.
· Quizzes (announced and unannounced) 25%.
· Homework 15%
· Classwork/Participation 15%
The most important thing for you to remember is that I am willing to set up an appointment with you regarding extra help, questions or concerns.