_Junior Literary Critique
Your paper should discuss one or two elements of an American short story from the list provided. Everyone in class must choose a different short story. Your paper may analyze such elements of characterization, plot, theme, point of view, symbolism, setting, link to the time period in which it was written, literary movement, author’s life, or a specific historical event.
Our library has a wealth of reference books that analyze American short stories and contain biographical, historical, and critical information. You will be expected to use these books as well as other resources in researching this paper.
- This paper must be no less than five, and no more than seven, typed pages (not including the Works Cited page) that follow MLA formatting.
- The title should be creative and reflect the thesis you are developing.
- The thesis should be stated in bold print in the opening paragraph.
- You must have at least one citation from each of the following types of approved sources in the text of your paper.
- AT LEAST two articles of literary criticism from Short Stories for Students
- AT LEAST two additional sources of your choice, which may include biographical, historical, science, philosophical, or psychological book, web pages (.org or .edu), or journal sources
- The story itself (which should be the majority of your citations)
No general encyclopedias (online, CD-Rom or print), no student websites, no summaries or condensations (such as Spark Notes, Masterplots, CliffNotes, Answers.com, Yahoo Answers, Enotes and the like) may be cited in the paper. You will be responsible for bringing in hard copies of any sources requested by me.