Contact information: LPalmieri@ledyard.net
Prep Period: Block A1 & B4
After school help: Mondays & by appointment (24 hours notice required)
Course Objective: "The primary concern of this course is to assist students in developing their speaking abilities for both formal and informal occasions. Students will learn how to prepare and present a speech and will engage in numerous activities that will increase fluency in oral communication. This course is required for all college tech prep students and may be used as partial fulfillment of the Vocational Education/Fine Arts graduation requirement".
Materials: It is required and expected that you come to class prepared everyday. This includes pens/pencils, notebook, book, homework as assigned, and any other required materials.
Absences and Late Work:
- If you miss a class it is your responsibility to get all of the notes and assignments prior to the next class.
- You will not be allowed to make up any work including quizzes and tests if the absence is unexcused.
- Any makeup work must be completed within three class periods. Exceptions will be made for students who are out more than one day.
- If a student is absent on the day of a quiz or test, it must be made up on the first day back (either before school, after school, or during a study hall)
- All assignments must be turned in on time. Late work will be penalized (10% per day).
- To earn a good grade means you must actively participate in class in a manner that is conducive to the learning environment. This includes doing your homework and coming to class prepared.
- Be on time! If you enter the class after the bell without an excused pass, you will serve a teacher detention.
- No discipline problems will be tolerated. Any disruptions in class that prevent others from learning are considered discipline problems.
Grading - Quarter One:
- Reading Aloud: 20%
- Informative: 25%
- Impromptu: 15%
- Homework: 10%
- Participation (preparation, attentiveness): 10%
- Written Work (outlines, reflections): 20%
Grading - Quarter Two:
- Impromptu: 20%
- Instructional: 10% & 100% of Exam Grade
- Written Work: 15%
- Participation: 15%